Freddy Fungi

The Story Behind the Painting

Another green tree frog from Chevallan Archery Park that I frequently visit to do some paintings and chill out while catching up with friends.

I wanted to paint something a little different from my last frog and decided to add some fungi as I love this type of photography. I was in need of some fungi that was a good fit for my frog in scale and perspective so I used the following photos for inspiration.

I just had to flip the photo so the fungi was inline with the frog, and also change the colour of the fungi, as I thought white would be too bright and over powering. The log I painted as a representation more than the real thing, this was to keep the focus on the frog.

The type of fungi I liked because of their colour, I only had to adjust the shape a little so they were flat against the log and correct type of fungi.

My Painting Process

So doing a mushroom study has paid off in the end and is a good way to practise on a small scale before adding them to larger paintings.

Here you can see smaller complete fungi and the large one just has an undercoat started.


Fungi all finished apart from the final shadows from the frog that will be added after I complete Freddy.

As with the other frog painting I just added a representation of a log for it to sit on.


This little frog had a different light source than the last one so it wasn’t going to be as bright.

I absolutely love painting frogs, even though they are very time consuming with all the tiny dots and multiple layers. This adds to the realism and is a similar style to painting the shells of red claws or yabbies.

Which reminds me I photographed a blue claw yabbie the other day so expect a painting of this in the future.


This different pose of the frog shows the pink colours of its back legs, which are a similar match the fungi.

Comparing the frogs eyes to my other painting this one had more reflections and bits of blue. I later changed the left one to have less reflections and think it looks better for it.


More of the frogs side was showing and this was full of little bumps which was a challenge to paint. Starting with small dabs of dark green paint then I gradually pain smaller and lighter circles and then finish off with a white highlight.

I made sure that some of the frogs toes were resting on the fungi to make it look more natural and this enabled me to place a few shadows on the fungi.


90% of the frog was painted using this little paint brush to get all the fine detail. Thats why each one takes around 4 – 5 days to paint.


So what do you think, do you like the addition of mushrooms to the painting ?

Would you like to see me paint more little frogs ?


Gouache Colour Palette

For my Black Label collection I use Winsor & Newton Gouache on Black Mi-Teintes Touch Pastel Card.

My painting come from my own experiences that I have lived and photographed while traveling. By reading this blog, you as a viewer can now hear The Story Behind the Painting. Where, when, what was happening while I was photographing the wildlife.
If you want more details about my adventures checkout my travel blog website www.ChrisOsborneAdventures.wordpress.com 

Enjoy, Chris Osborne

One Comment on “Freddy Fungi

  1. Pingback: Painting at Possum Park Miles – Chris Osborne Adventures

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: