The trouble with painting on black paper is once you add a background it’s hard to tell if the image is a day or night time scene.
I think I was photographing the insects for a good half hour two days in a row, and managed not to get stung, however the next day I was pruning a Boganville and got attacked twice by the wasps. Let me tell you some wordy dirts definitely came out of my mouth that day.
Last year I walked around Bundaberg Botanical Gardens and photographed various birds, turtles and lizards, including the Great Egret that inspired this painting.
I wanted to paint something a little different from my last frog and decided to add some fungi as I love this type of photography.
Well considering my last blog I had a little bit of a melt down because of things not quite going to plan, to this frog, one of my best works to date.
I awoke to morning dew on my tent and as I stepped outside under foot and between my toes I could feel the wetness. Mist was floating past my face and being caught in spiderwebs, backlit by golden light of the rising sun.
Well this is a different kind of a story as I’ve broken my own rules about only using my own photographs. I saw a sea urchin in seaweed on a friends instagram account (Charlottegannet).
I started painting some burnt bark as a back drop but it went horribly wrong and the black paint mixed with a little white gave it a sheen. The more I started to work this painting the worse it got, even adding colour didn’t save it.
To be honest this painting scared me a little. I’d been putting off painting anything with scale as I thought I wasn’t good enough yet but my cousin gave me the push I needed.