While free camping at Wuruma Dam one morning the call of nature made me get out of my nice warm sleeping bag and out into the crisp morning air. I could not believe my eyes there was a heavy dew and the sun was just starting to rise but could not penetrate the heavy fog that was creeping across the fields.
This wave of fog got caught in the thousands of spiderwebs in a range of sizes that were hanging off dead grass and shrubs. The normally super fine transparent webs now hung heavy with tiny droplets of water and created a carpet of webs as far as the eye could see. I have just stumbled into my very own private gallery of spiderwebs, each one so different from the next.
As I crawled back into my swag to find my camera the sun was still trying to penetrate the heavy fog, the landscape was monotone of subdued browns. The morning was filled with birdsongs, and kookaburra laughing and campers snoring, still heavily asleep.
They were missing the most amazing display of nature that I have ever seen, and I’m sure I have slept through some of the most amazing sunrises that they have seen and I haven’t.
Sometimes you have to be in the right spot at the right time, and today I was in both, a day I will never forget.
I was originally going to paint this on black paper but change my mind as I hadn’t created an artwork on white paper for some time.
I totally saturated the paper with water and started painting wet it wet, unfortunately it was a rather hot day. So the paper soon started drying out and didn’t quite achieve the look I was after.
I started adding a slight amount of green paint to the paper hoping this would give me a nice out of focus look which it did to some extent.
I was also trying to go for a nice out of focus seed head on the bottom right hand side of the painting but no mater what I did I couldn’t quite get it looking good..
I started painting the dark plant in and all of its spiky seed heads, this instantly stood as it was such a contrast to the background.
Unfortunately once I added the white spiderwebs I realised that I hadn’t made the background dark enough. Also the plant in the foreground just didn’t seem to sit right as my eye was drawn to it more than the main spiderweb.
So the next morning I realised that this artwork needed a little bit of correction but what it needed I wasn’t sure just yet.
The first thing I did was remove the problem plant in the foreground and by doing this I realised that the background needed to be a little darker.
This was a big pain because it meant painting over most of the spider web. As I was re painting all the tiny dots of the spiderweb I painted over the sticks bringing the spiderweb to the foreground.
I also painted a spider and caterpillar just to bring a little life into the painting.
So sometime you can save an artwork by just reworking it a little.
This painting really started to shine once I mounted it in a black matt and framed it up in a nice timer frame that matched the background of the painting. It also has none reflective glass which make such a difference when hung in the home.
This artwork was sold the day after it was framed, and I’ve been told its still not sure which room it will be living in.
I use Winsor & Newton Gouache on Arches France Watercolour Paper, 300g Cold Pressed.
My painting come from my own experiences that I have experienced and photographed while traveling. By reading this blog, you as a viewer can now hear The Story Behind the Painting. Where, when, what was happening while I was photographing the wildlife.
If you want more details about my adventures checkout my travel blog website www.ChrisOsborneAdventures.wordpress.com
Enjoy, Chris Osborne